Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hope Chest

I want my box to show Rauschenberg and Johns' secretive relationship and how they interacted with society. The outside of the box will act as a "cage" through the images of tall buildings, trees, or silhouttes people making bars along the outside. On the inside will be a dreamy landscape or image such as a mountain or ocean scene. I will use found objects such as perhaps an old key, sea glass, or other "calm" objects. The box itself will be in an organic shape and it has to have a big opening so that people can interact with the items inside. I want it to have a lid so that the viewers will be suprised at the difference between the "cold" exterior and the more soothing interior. Along with the readings I was also influenced by the Bjork song "hyperballad" about a couple that hide at the top of a mountain to feel safe. I think that Rauschenberg and Johns felt pressured to not share their relationship and that they perceived themselves as outsideres, whether their peers would have accepted them or not.

1 comment:

lacey said...

Anita - I like the idea of this organic box shape, with large cutouts so the people outside can interact with the interior - but your insights into the JJ/RR relationship and the Bjork song seem to speak more about being on the inside looking out, not on the outside looking in...